Tuesday, December 6, 2011

French Lentil Soup

I have always wanted to try lentil soup since I've seen how cute and little they were:) LOL  I finally did tonight and WOW!!!!!  My only regret was not doubling or tripling the recipe so I could have seconds! The recipe only makes 2 bowls so you decide how much you want to make but I am definitely making it again and at least doubling it! Even Jackson loved it! He ate his whole bowl without any help from us! That doesn't even happen with chickie nuggets:) LOL If you have picky eaters that won't try new things then I definitely suggest making this for yourself for lunch sometime. I am still craving another bowl!

1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
2 chopped garlic cloves
2 cups of onion (LOL I totally forgot to put onion in mine! It was DELICIOUS even without it!)
1 1/4 lentils
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
4 cups vegetable broth

Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium–high heat. Add onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. I added a teaspoon of kosher salt or table salt; sauté until vegetables begin to brown, about 15 minutes. Add 4 cups broth, lentils, and tomatoes with juice and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium–low, cover, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 35 minutes.

Transfer 2 cups soup (mostly solids) to blender and puree until smooth. Return puree to soup in pan; thin soup with more broth by 1/4 cupfuls, if too thick. Season with salt, pepper, and a splash of vinegar, if desired. Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with celery leaves

I have never made or eaten a creamy soup like this before but I was blown away! Can't wait to eat it again! We have so many lentils left because it only calls for 1 1/4 cup so I am making a different lentil soup tommorow! I will let you know how that goes:) Maybe I will need to take it easy on the beans:) LOL

1 comment:

  1. Thank you all for your comments! This recipe is one of my favorites so far! It takes an hour to make but it is well worth it. It must be if I am willing to do it again:)

    ReplyDelete